My name is Annie Gage and I am the Family Advocate at Meridian Park.
I have worked here since 2010, and was also the Family Advocate at Sunset Elementary for its final two years. I received my Master's degree in Social Work in 1988 and worked for ten years in community mental health before discovering my passion for supporting children and families within school settings.
What does a Family Advocate do? One thing I love about my job is that it's different every day! Some of what I do is:
- Help families gain access to basic needs such as food, shelter, and assistance with utilities.
- Provide referrals for professional services, including for low- or no- cost medical, legal and counseling.
- Offer emotional and or other support for families going through transitions such as divorce, housing, and health.
- Teach classroom lessons pertaining to social skills and bullying prevention
- Lead fun "Friendship groups" for students to support their social development