Attendance Secretary: Nicole Haines
Phone: (206)393-4294 (messages 24/7)
Hours: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Got only a minute? (Read these five key points!)
1. Excuse your student's absence to avoid truancy. (Excusing your student via email is highly recommended)
2. You only have 5 school-days to excuse an absence after the day the student was absent.
3. Missing more than 10 minutes of class is considered an absence.
4. Up to 10 minutes late is a tardy (tardies are not excused.)
5. Need an early dismissal? Send a note with your student, if possible.
Early Dismissal Request form
Got more time?
Each time your student has an unexcused absence, we notify you via automated phone calls and emails on the day your student is absent.
We notify twice a day — in the morning and in the afternoon. If you excuse after 9:00 a.m., we may not have had enough time to execute your request for the morning notification. This means you may get a morning notification that your student is absent, because the Attendance Secretary is working on executing your request. Please contact the Attendance Office if you receive an afternoon notification if you sent in an excuse for your student that morning.
If you don't send an excuse and the absences accumulate, the school district must file a "truancy petition" with the juvenile court after 7 days of unexcused absences in a month or 10 days of unexcused absences in an academic year. Exception: Period 10 (Highlander Home) is not a credit earning class and is not part of the truancy. There is no need to excuse. However, if you choose to excuse with a valid reason, you may do so.
When you excuse, please tell us the reason for the absence.
The following are valid excuses for absences (School Board Policy #3122):
1. Participation in a district or school approved activity or instructional program
2. Illness, health condition or medical appointment
3. Family emergency, including, but not limited to, a death or illness in the family
4. Observance of a religious or cultural holiday
5. Court, judicial proceeding or serving on a jury
6. Post-secondary, technical school or apprenticeship program visitation, or scholarship interview
7. State-recognized search and rescue activities consistent with RCW 28A.225.055
8. Absence directly related to the student's homeless status
9. Absence resulting from a disciplinary/corrective action
10. Principal (or designee) and parent, guardian, or emancipated youth mutually agreed upon approved activity
Should I send a note, or call, or email?
Email is preferred. Please do not duplicate your message.
Tardy vs Absence
Up to 10 minutes late, is a tardy. No need to check in at the Attendance Office.
More than 10 minutes late, is considered an absence at Shorecrest, and should check in at the Attendance Office for a pass to enter class.
What information should be on the note to excuse an absence?
Excuse Absence form.
How should I request an early dismissal?
Please send a note (or better yet Early Dismissal Request form) to the attendance office with your student. Here's how it works: When your student brings a note to the Attendance Office, an early-dismissal pass is given to your student immediately. Your student then presents the pass to the teacher and leave at the requested time. This way we don't disrupt the class and you don't need to come in to pick up your student.
How can I check my student's attendance?
Go to Shorecrest > Resources > Online Access > FAMILY ACCESS.
Do not use DATA DASHBOARD because it's inaccurate.
Use your LOGIN and PASSWORD to access.
What if the teacher marked my student absent but he/she was in class?
Please contact the teacher.
Note: If your student misses more than 10 minutes of class, it's an absence.
How do I excuse a student in advance for missing 3 days or more?
Complete an Advance Notice of Absence form, which is available in the Attendance Office also. This is a good way to notify both the attendance office and the student's teachers.
How can I grant my 18+ year old student to excuse his/her own absences?
Your student should pick up a form from the Attendance Office.
At Shorecrest, up to 10 minutes late is considered a tardy. We want students to know and learn the value of being on time, and we expect students to be ready to engage in learning. We believe in forming habits of punctuality and commitment because they are required for college, a career, and life as a part of a larger community.
- Every 5 tardies results in 45 minutes of time needed to be made up, which equate to one make-up/study hall session after school. These take place Monday through Wednesday, 2:45-3:30pm in the Commons.
- SC staff will monitor the after school session(s), and 5 tardies will be removed from the attendance record for each session attended.
- If students are members of an after school sport or activity they will not be allowed to attend/practice/play if they have 5 or more tardies on their record. Once they have completed the required make-up/study hall session(s) to remove their tardies, they will be allowed to participate in the after school sport or activity again.
- If students accumulate a total of 10 tardies they will not be allowed to attend SC evening events (games, dances, performances).
- Students can attend the assigned tardy make-up/study hall in order to restore their records anytime throughout the semester.
There are six TYPES of attendance —
1) W- unexcused absence (marked by the teachers)
2) U- unexcused absence (marked by the attendance office)
3) E- excused absence
4) L- late/tardy (marked by the teachers)
5) T- late/tardy (marked by the attendance office)
6) O- school activity and does NOT count as absence
Letters following the above six TYPES of attendance are the REASONS —
AD (athletics), F (field trip), S (suspension), X (expulsion), SL (more than 10 minutes late and attend majority of class), E (other).
Health codes: HA (asthma), HD (dental), HF (flu), HH (headache), HI (injury), HM (medical), HO (other), HR (rash), HS (stomach)
W-SL : unexcused absence - arrived more than 10 minutes late and attended majority of class
E-SL : above absence is excused
E-HM : excused absence - medical appointment
O-F : school activity and does NOT count as absence - field trip